சனி, 5 ஆகஸ்ட், 2017

Occupying Colombo steps up militarization of Jaffna streets through STF

Occupying Colombo steps up militarization of Jaffna streets through STF

[TamilNet, Friday, 04 August 2017, 19:05 GMT]
Hundreds of armed ‘Special Task Force’ commandos have been patrolling the streets of Jaffna in recent days under the pretext of controlling ‘gang violence’ against SL Police. In the meantime, occupying Sinhala military and police Establishments in Jaffna have been falsely claiming that the former LTTE members were behind gang violence. Four Tamil gangsters, have been detained for alleged involvement in violence against SL Police. The SL Police was falsely claiming that the detained youth as former LTTE members. Refuting the false claims by the SL Police and SL military, legal activists in Jaffna questioned the credibility of such claim by referring to the age of detained youth. Tamil youth from Jaffna were completely blocked from entering LTTE controlled Vanni already in 2006. The youth arrested now were 10-year-old children at that time, they said.

It is the occupying SL military intelligence that has been operating gangs in Jaffna, the legal activists said.

The STF was directly engaged in brutal acts of genocide in the East as well as in Vanni during the war.

The STF, formed during the times of late SL President J.R. Jayawardene and trained by the British, is a full-fledged military outfit organised under the SL Police Department targeting the occupied country of Eezham Tamils. It functions as an extended arm of the SL military receiving instructions from the SL Defence Ministry in Colombo.

The STF was directly engaged in brutal acts of genocide in the East as well as in Vanni during the war.

After the genocidal onslaught in May 2009, Colombo has been stepping up the deployment of the notorious STF commandos in all the districts in the Northern and Eastern provinces.

There are currently more than 8,000 STF personnel attached to 69 camps, most of them situated in the occupied country of Eezham Tamils in the North and East of the island.

Phil Miller, a researcher for Corporate Watch in London has in recent times brought out facts with evidences on the British complicity in training more than 3,500 Sri Lankan ‘policemen’ including the STF commandos and senior commanders. The British assistance was being provided while the STF was directly engaged in acts of genocide in the East as well as in Vanni.

In a classified memo written by US's Sri Lanka Ambassador Robert Blake in October 2006 to Washington, ten months after the massacre of five students in Trincomalee, SL presidential sibling Basil Rajapakse had admitted that Special Task Force (STF) was responsible for the killings, according to a WikiLeaks document.

Chronology:

Tamil political prisoner Sulaxan to launch hunger-strike again

Tamil political prisoner Sulaxan to launch hunger-strike again

[TamilNet, Thursday, 03 August 2017, 18:32 GMT]
30-year-old Eezham Tamil political prisoner who has been detained in various prisons of genocidal Sri Lanka without trial for more than 8 years, has conveyed Vavuniyaa Court on 01 August that he would again launch a hunger-strike on 20th August at Anuradhapura prison in North Central Province, where he is currently detained. Legal sources said the latest case against Sulaxan has been prepared on the basis of fraudulent evidence obtained from persons arrested in 2013 and after as the previous case against him didn't stand the trial in 2013. Last year, Sulaxan was on a hunger-strike demanding SL Attorney General's Department to either release him or bring him in front of a Court to face the charges. SL ministers and TNA politicians interfered urging him to abandon his hunger-strike in turn of legal processing.

The SL Attorney General's Department, which intends to keep majority of the political prisoners in the prison is again trying to buy time again or transfer the case and mete out a lengthy sentence through the courts in South, legal sources said.

On Tuesday, when the latest case was taken for investigation at Vavuniyaa High Court, it came to light that the SL Attorney General's Department has sought to transfer his case to a court in the South.

Many of the Sinhala judges in South stand prepared to accept the manufactured ‘evidences’ while the judges with experience in North and East are very reluctant to accept such evidences.

Sulaxan hails from Kara’navaay North in Vadamaraadchi, Jaffna. His father, Azhvaappillay Mathiyarasan, who was an elected civic member in the local council, passed away in 2015 after suffering from illness amidst his attempt to get his son released.

Mrs Mahendran, the mother of Sulaxan met Northern Provincial Chief Minister Justice C.V. Wigneswaran conveying her son's decision to commence hunger-strike.

The mother was pleading with NPC Chief Minister to impress upon the SL President Maithiripala Sirisena to release her son or let a court in North to process the case.

Related Articles:
04.01.17   Colombo frames cases to prolong imprisonment of Tamil politi..
28.07.16   Colombo continues to dilly-dally on processing political pri..
19.02.16   Political prisoner detained without charges for 7 years to g..


Chronology:

New Sinhala police station disturbs peace in resettled Vadamunai, Batticaloa

New Sinhala police station disturbs peace in resettled Vadamunai, Batticaloa

[TamilNet, Wednesday, 02 August 2017, 22:25 GMT]
Some normalcy returned to Vadamunai village situated 65 km northwest of Batticaloa city two years ago when the occupying Sinhala military vacated its military camp, which was situated at a building of the Irrigation Department, which was located on the left bank of Vadamunai tank. Resettled Tamil women were continuously harassed by the Sinhala soldiers stationed at the irrigation building whenever the women went to the tank for water and bathing needs. A few days ago, a Sinhala policemen have stationed at the locality, causing trauma and fear among the resettled villagers. The Tamil people living in the interior village of Batticaloa district, is a border village to Polonnaruwa district of North Central Province. The survivors from Vadamunai village, who witnessed one of the brutal massacres, Mayilanthanai massacre in 1992, only managed to resettled back during the times of the LTTE.

But, the villagers were again displaced in 2007 during the genocidal onslaught on LTTE administered interior north-western hinterland of Batticaloa district, which is also known as Paduvaan-karai.
Oottuch-cheanai and Vadamunai
The locality of Oottuch-cheanai and Vadamunai in Paduvaankarai region


Despite limited assistance for resettlement and the fear of Sinhalicisation targeting their village from Welikande situated 4 km northwest of the village, 272 uprooted Eezham Tamil families have managed to resettle in the village.

The SL Police maintains that it wants to control ‘illegal activities’ despite having a large police station 4 km away in Welikande. Even if SL police wants to establish its branch under Vaazhaichcheanai Police, it could have chosen a different place without causing fear psychosis among the people, social activists in Vadamunai say blaming the Colombo regime for targeting their village for Sinhala colonization.

Ooththuch-cheanai is the neighbouring Tamil village situated east of Vadamunai. 347 families have managed to resettle in Ooththuch-cheanai.

The Colombo government has been planning to seize Vadamunai-Ooththuchchenai villages since 1978.
Mahaweli, System L and B
‘Mahaweli Master plan’ currently targeting Mullaiththeevu, Batticaloa and Ampaa'rai through System L and System B [Image courtesy:mahaweli.gov.lk]
Now, the entire area is also targeted through SL President Maithiripala Sirisena’s ‘Mahaweli Ministry’ under the so-called ‘development’ cum Sinhala colonization scheme known as Mahaweli ‘System B’.

Both the villagers of Ooththuch-cheanai and Vadamunai are still haunted by the memories of genocidal Mayilanthanai massacre on 09th August in 1990.

Following a landmine attack in Jaffna on 08 August 1990, in which several SLA officers including Major General Denzil Kobbekaduwa were killed, a group of Sinhala soldiers stormed Mayilanthanai village, which is situated near Vadamunai in Batticaloa the following day. At least 21 Sinhala soldiers took part in the brutal massacre that claimed the lives of 35 Tamil civilians. A 12-month-old baby was among nine children and six elderly women. More than 50 villagers survived the massacre sustaining injuries. 24 of them were seriously injured.

Following Mayilanthanai massacre, majority of the people from the interior villages were uprooted and languished in displacement in Vaazhaich-cheanai until 2002 when a section of them resettled. They were again uprooted in 2007 following attacks by the occupying Sri Lanka Army and the ‘home guards’.

As usual, an eyewash investigation process was staged under the SL judiciary. However, all of the Sinhala soldiers were acquitted all the eighteen Sinhala soldiers, who had been identified by the villagers.

A Sinhala speaking Jury brought a unanimous verdict of not guilty on all charges in 2002. The Jury brought the same verdict a second time in the same year when the SL High Court Judge directed the jury to reconsider their verdict as the prosecution had led sufficient evidence to prove the guilt of the accused.

Apart from the massacre, several killings were carried out by the occupying Sinhala military and police during the times of war.

After the war, the area has been subjected to repeated attempts by extremist Sinhala monks and the occupying military. The SL military has also been blocking Community Based Organizations and local NGOs from assisting the resettling people, also after 2009.

The Sinhala police station, coming under Vaazhaichcheanai police, has come into being since 20 July, 2017.

Related Articles:
15.09.16   Maharaja TV promotes genocidal military culture through ‘wel..
10.06.15   Batticaloa ignored in financial allocations for resettlement..
10.05.12   Resettled Tamils without assistance affected by mini-cyclone..
07.05.12   Paduvaankarai people live with UXO threat
03.05.12   Parts of Batticaloa worse than Vanni in ‘normalcy’
04.01.12   Colombo targets Tamil officials who defy instruction in land..
08.03.03   SLA commander refuses refugees to resettle in Mylanthanai
14.12.02   AG urged to file appeal against Mylanthanai acquittal
25.11.02   All Sinhala jury acquits Mylanthanai accused
24.11.02   Mylanthanai massacre case verdict on Monday
08.11.02   Refugees eager to resettle, demand basic facilities
05.11.02   Mylanthanai massacre accused make statements from dock
16.10.02   Medical evidence continues in Mylanthanai massacre case
16.10.02   Medical officers give evidence in Mylanthanai massacre
04.10.02   Women witnesses give evidence in Mylanthanai massacre case
30.09.02   High Court takes up Mylanthanai massacre case
09.08.02   Mylanthanai massacre commemorated
16.01.02   Mylanthanai massacre case before Sinhala Jury
01.12.99   Tamil Judge sought for Mylanthanai Case
18.11.98   Mylanthanai massacre case postponed


Chronology:

வியாழன், 3 ஆகஸ்ட், 2017

உலகத்தமிழிணைய மாநாடு 2017, மலேசியா மாநாடு குறித்த இணையவழி உரையாடல்

அகரமுதல 197,  ஆடி14,2048 / சூலை 30, 2017

உலகத்தமிழிணைய மாநாடு 2017, மலேசியா
மாநாடு குறித்த இணையவழி உரையாடல்
நாள் : ஆடி 21, 2048 ஞாயிறு  ஆக.06, 2017 மாலை 6.00 – 7.30
இடம் : வெள்ளை மாளிகை, மணவை முசுதபா நினைவகம்
ஏஈ 103. 6 ஆவது தெரு, பத்தாவது முதன்மைச்சாலை,
அண்ணாநகர் மேற்கு, சென்னை 600 040
நேரலை/ உரையாடலில் பங்கேற்க இணைய  முகவரி :
https://www.fb.com/DrSemmal
பதிவான காணொளிகளைக் காண : https://www.youtube.com/user/naalayatamil
இணைய உரையாடலில் பங்கேற்க அழைக்கிறோம்!
http://www.wtic.my/

Genocidal Colombo causes new obstacles to investigations on Mannaar mass graves

Genocidal Colombo causes new obstacles to investigations on Mannaar mass graves

[TamilNet, Tuesday, 01 August 2017, 21:33 GMT]
Colombo-based Special Branch of Criminal Investigation Division (CID) of the Police of genocidal Sri Lanka is once again causing obstacles to judicial investigations of 87 human skeletons exhumed from the mass graves of the killing fields at Thirukkeatheesvaram near Maanthai junction in Mannaar. At a crucial juncture when Mannaar Magistrate A G Alex Raja fixed a date to instruct the CID to send the skeletons to one of the proposed foreign institutions to undertake forensic anthropological analysis and to invite foreign experts during the next phase of exhumation of the alleged mass grave site, the CID has turned to SL Judicial Service Commission with an allegation that Mr Alex Raja was taking sides with the lawyers representing the victims. The move was intended to put an immediate stop to external investigations and involving foreign experts in the future excavations of mass graves.

The move also seeks to replace the Judge or transfer the case to another court, legal sources in Mannaar said.

The locality where human skeletons were exhumed was under the control of the occupying Sri Lankan military during the times of war and the site was used as a rear base of the SL military that uprooted the Tamil people from the area in 1990. Until 2002 the area was a ‘high security zone’.

In 2014, as soon as the discovery of the mass graves, Rt. Rev. Dr. Rayappu Joseph, the catholic bishop of Mannaar, called for international investigations to be conducted on the mass grave located in Thirukkeatheesvaram as Sri Lanka has systematically failed to carry out any investigations on similar findings in the past.

Staging a special mass and prayer service at the St Lourde’s church at Maanthai, just across the massacre site in February 2014, Bishop Rayappu said: “We have lost faith in any local mechanism that investigates the killings. Instead, we need independent international investigation that has no political affiliation, and we should witness the investigation.”

Ever since the allegation of mass graves surfaced, Colombo's CID has been trying to delay the process of excavating the site.

Later, the CID was trying to claim that it was a burial site. The native people, who were living at the village of Thirukkeatheesvaram before their displacement in 1990 and who have accessed the area after they were allowed to resettle there, have strongly refuted the claim of the CID.

When the Magistrate demanded forensic analysis on the exhumed skeletens, the CID was also trying to sabotage the move by stating that there was no experts in the island to carry out DNA or forensic anthropological analyses.

Now, they have approached the Judicial Service Commission as the Magistrate was prepared to issue a final instruction on forensic analysis.


Attorney-at-Law V.S. Niranjan, who represented the families of missing persons said the allegation of the CID was completely wrong. It was the CID that said it was impossible to carry out forensic analysis without securing foreign expertise. The Judge was only doing his job. Mr Niranjan also said that Magistrate Alex Raja was citing the records of previous sessions on the matter during the last hearing on 28 July, 2017.

As the CID has come with an allegation against Mannaar Magistrate, the process now depends on the opinion of the Judicial Service Commission, which is awaited, the Magistrate has told in the open hearings on 28 July, Mr Niranjan further said.

The CID has also accused the Magistrate of addressing them in ‘strong tone’. The reasons for his strong tone stem from the attitude of the CID in the past it has nothing to do with the neutrality of the Magistrate, the lawyer added.

The Magistrate has also referred to the records of the previous Magistrate on the issue, he said.

The CID was not only dilly dallying the legal process so far since the Magistrate took a firm stand in November 2015, but also hiding from appearing at the courts at times.

Due to the latest development, the next hearing has been postponed to October 20th.

Chronology:

புதன், 2 ஆகஸ்ட், 2017